Are you an emotional wreck? Are you walking through your days like a zombie? If you initiated the divorce, as I did mine, you’re most likely experiencing sadness, anger, shame, guilt, and fear.
If instead, your partner initiated the divorce proceedings; you have a lot of catching up to do! It would be in your best interest if you were strong and healthy. If you’re a mom, your children need you to be strong and healthy.
Here are some relaxation techniques to help clear your mind and un-knot your stomach.
5-4-3-2-Method – This technique is used by folks experiencing anxiety to bring them to a safer emotional place.
- Name five things you see
- Name four things you feel.
- Name three things you hear
- Name two things you smell
- Name one thing you taste.
The 5-5-5 breathing method
- BREATHE in through your nose for 5 seconds
- HOLD for 5 seconds and EXHALE through your mouth for 5 seconds
- EXHALE through your mouth for 5 seconds
More relaxation techniques…
- Take a 30-minute walk
- Soak in a hot bubble bath. My coach suggested staying in the shower for a few minutes extra to calm myself
- Play your favorite music and sing loudly. I suggest Pink’s break-up album ‘FUNHOUSE’
- Buy a plant, a book, new shoes, and underwear just for you
- Have coffee or a wine date with friends
- Watch a movie your ex refused to see. I took my girls to see Kenny Rodgers and Dolly Parton
- Do something he always said you couldn’t do. I took a class, hosted exchange students, went back to church, and sang in the choir. I reconnected with family and old friends. Drove to my Grandparents. And we got a cat!
It’s your new future; shape it any way you want.
~ Love, Marvis